Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/isukni0sts6s/public_html/domains/ on line 706

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/isukni0sts6s/public_html/domains/ on line 706

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/isukni0sts6s/public_html/domains/ on line 707

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/isukni0sts6s/public_html/domains/ on line 707
Student visa application | Zontlaw

Studying in the U.S.

Are you looking to study in the U.S.? Choosing the right visa for your time in the U.S. is important! The F-1 Visa is perfect for most academic programs, and it is by far the most common way to be a foreign student in the U.S. The M-1 Visa is for training for a specific skill or profession. Finally the J-1 Visa has a variety of uses, which also include some students. Please keep reading to find out more!

Professional Security

Client Support

Excellent Services for your $

Did you get accepted into a university or an advanced degree program in the United States? If so, first of all, congratulations! Secondly, you are going to need a lawful nonimmigrant immigration status in order to stay and study in the U.S., for the duration of your degree or program. Which visa you get, depends entirely on what you are studying in the United States. All student visas are temporary nonimmigrant visas, however you can stay as long as it takes you to get your degree (you may have to apply for an extension); assuming you maintain your eligibility. The first item on your to-do list is to be accepted to an approved school or program. Approved by whom? The Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)! They have a list of all approved schools and programs, and to be eligible for a student visa you have to pick one of these schools (click here). You can also apply for visas for any dependents (spouses and minor children under 21) to come with you, although there are work restrictions for spouses. Children can attend public schools.

In general, in order to get and keep a student visa, you must:

Maintain enrollment in an “academic” educational program, a vocational program, or a language training program,

Maintain full-time enrollment as a student at that institution (usually at least 12 credit hours per semester) ,

Be proficient in English or be taking courses that will facilitate English proficiency,

Be able to support yourself financially during your time in the U.S., i.e. pay tuition, buy textbooks and groceries, etc., and

Keep a residence abroad which you intend to return to, maybe your parents’ house for example (the idea is to show you are not trying to immigrate permanently to the U.S.).

 What visa is right for me? Well, it depends on your course of study!

F-1 Visa: This visa is for academic studies or english language programs. This is the most common visa for international students. There are no annual F-1 Visa limits, so if you qualify for the visa, you can get it without having to worry about about a visa quota or lottery. You have to take at least the minimum credit hours required by the program or university, to be considered a full-time student while you are enrolled. You are also allowed to work, generally only on the campus of your school/university, as long as it is fewer than twenty hours per week. Also you cannot come into the U.S. more than thirty days before the start of your program. For more information click here

M-1 Visa: This visa is for non-academic, technical, or vocational schools and programs. For example: welding, electrical installation and maintenance, and carpentry would all be program types that fit in this category. Unfortunately, you cannot work at all with this visa, and when you apply, you have to show that all the funds you will need for the course of the program (tuition, living expenses) are already available to you. For more information click here

J-1 Visa: This visa is not strictly for students, but rather for research scholars, professors, and exchange visitors participating in programs that promote cultural exchange. Therefore, it can include students depending on the specific exchange program. One reason to get a J-1 visa over an F-1 is that you can do a program or internship in the U.S., that may satisfy a degree requirement for your university back in your home country. Or you might be getting your degree in the U.S., but you have a special international scholarship or there is a treaty between the U.S. and your government regarding exchange students. For these students, it makes more sense to get a J-1 visa. All applicants must meet eligibility criteria, english language requirements, and be sponsored either by a University, private sector or government program. A J-1 student status allows for similar employment as the F-1 visa, with similar restrictions, as long as permission is given by the exchange visitor program sponsor. For more information click here

Can you become a student if you’re already in the U.S. for another reason? Yes! There are even some nonimmigrant visas that allow you to study, without filling out more paperwork or applying to USCIS. These visas include:

  • A visa (foreign officials and their family members)
  • E visa (treaty investment, for more information click here)
  • G visa (representative of international organization like OxFam and their families)
  • H visa (employment visa, for more information click here)
  • I visa (foreign press and their family)
  • J visa (research scholars, professors, and exchange visitors and their families)
  • L visa (intracompany transferee, for more information click  here)
  • F and M visas (you do have to apply for a change of status when you switch to post-secondary school, i.e. college or university)

If you are in the U.S. on a nonimmigrant status that is not one of these visa statuses, you can generally still qualify to be a student! You would have to fill out a form I-539 Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. The process can often take between three and six months, which may be longer than leaving the United States and getting a new visa. You should take that timing into consideration, among other factors, when deciding if it is better for you to leave the U.S. to apply for student status, or not. For more information about changing or extending your status, please read our page on Extending or Changing your Nonimmigrant Status, available here.

Immigrating can be complicated and stressful. Please let us help you minimize the stress and increase your chances of success!

Can I leave the country and return on a student visa?

Yes! You should make sure you have all your documents with you (passport and I-20 at least). You will also need a travel endorsement signature. That is a signature from the International Student Affairs staff at your school on the second page of your original I-20 or DS-2019. The signature proves that you are maintaining your status, and this will be checked by an immigration official when you re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad.

Will I and my dependents have to be interviewed?
You will most certainly need an interview. You will have to go to the embassy or consulate nearest you within 120 days of your program start. In general, anyone coming to the U.S. on any kind of student visa, or student visa dependent, will have to be interviewed if they are between ages 14 and 79. Sometimes those aged 13 and younger, and those aged 80 and older will need to be interviewed only if requested by the embassy/consulate, but that is not the standard practice.
What if my English needs some improvement?
Well it depends on what program you are applying for. If you are applying for an English language intensive program, then that is fine, since the whole point is for a language immersion experience! For a J-1 visa you need enough language skills to participate in whatever program you choose, so it is dependent on the needs of the program. In general, aside from a language intensive program, your english skills should be high enough that you do not struggle in the program. Especially if you are trying to earn a degree!
Can I drive in the U.S.?
Yes you can! You need to get a driver’s license in the state you are living. You should wait at least ten days after you arrive in the U.S., so that all of your information updates in the various systems. The specific procedure varies state-by-state, so you should look up your state’s requirements. You will almost certainly need your passport, your I-20, and proof of residence. Proof of residence means proof that you live in that state (not in your home country)–but what is actually required might be different in different states, so you should check with your state’s DMV.
Is there a limit on how many people can get a student visa per year?
There is no numerical limit! You have to meet the various requirements of the visa and your program, but the government does not have a set limit.

Contact Attorney J.Greenberg ⚖️

7 + 13 =



Our online tool makes it so easy to complete your immigration paperwork



More Features

100% Secure

Where and what

Up-to-date Forms

Comprehensive forms

Error Checking

Evidence Checklist


Our online software makes it so easy to complete your immigration paperwork


She was perfect! It was such a luck to have Julia Greenberg referred to me by my acquaintance. She is the most caring and helpful attorney I have ever worked with. She is very professional and knowledgeable in the immigration law, and she gave me great advice! I appreciate most that she is always available by phone or returns missed calls shortly – this is something that many attorneys in NYC do not do or have their assistants do who never give the correct answer. I approached Julia to help me prepare for my citizenship interview since I had, frankly speaking, not an easy case, and she did the best  job I could expect. I could not imagine how my interview would have gone without her; her support was significant! If I ever have a question about any immigration matter I would definitely ask Julia for help again. Awesome

Anya Shapkina  on July 6, 2017

Julia Greenberg helps me during the interview process and advises me on the process followed. She is very supportive and handles. She impressed me not only with the professionalism, but also with the art of communication as an outstanding attorney.She is quick to respond to any question that I have. Julia has helped me every step of the way with my case. Thank you!!

Alie Keshfedinova

Julia is very professional, competent and knows how to get the best deal for her clients. What we appreciated about her service was that she always answered our calls or got back to us in a very short amount of time. We had a very stressful issue with the officer but Julia was able resolve it and have our case successfully processed the same day. We could have not done it without her. She is a smart lawyer and a great negotiator with a wonderful personality. Hire Julia Greenberg if you want to get a real result!


Becoming a US citizen entails specific rights, duties and following benefits: consular protection outside the United States; ability to sponsor relatives living abroad; ability to invest in US. real property without triggering additional taxes; transmitting US citizenship to children; protection from deportation and others. U.S. law permits multiple citizenship. A citizen of another country naturalized as a U.S. citizen may retain his previous citizenship
Our blog
Visa categories for foreign athletes

There are two visa categories for foreign athletes and entertainers to come to the United States for a temporary period of time. The two categories actually mirror each other quite a bit, however the legal standards are different.P Visas: Athletes and Entertainers...

read more
Visa and Immigration Options for Athletes

What option you select, will generally depend on what your goals are for your athletics, how long you wish to compete or train in your sport in the United States, and your current status as an athlete. Are you an athlete that wants to come to the United States in...

read more
The E-2 “Treaty Investor” Visa

The E-2 Visa allows “treaty investors” to come and work in the United States to develop or direct a business enterprise, in which they have invested in, or that they are in the process of investing in. Want to live in the United States? Always dreamed of starting and...

read more

Be aware of all the developments in US Immigration Policy

will always keep you up to date on Facebook


888-ZONTLAW (9668529)

888 - ZONTLAW (9668529)

 160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest new

Receive the latest news